Have you dreamed of dressing your presents up this Christmas and giving an extra special touch to your gifts… well here’s how with this simple and stylish reversible gift bag tutorial …
You can make it to your ideal size and choose your ideal fabric to make it perfect for anyone. It’s an eco-friendly wrapping solution and we love that … it can be used again and again for all sorts of things from storage to door stoppers as well as more gift-giving
1. Choose 2 coordinating fabrics and cut out your desired shape from each fabric x 2. This will give you 4 rectangles of the same size.
2. Pair the fabric together, right sides facing.
3. Use your Sewing Machine to sew a 1cm seam down the lengths and along the bottom of each separate bag (leave the top open).
4. Choose which one will be the exterior bag and turn it right side out, press. (Leave the liner bag inside out).
5. Slip the liner bag over the bag that will be on the exterior when completed (right sides facing). Pin bags together at the top seam.
6. Stitch the liner and exterior bag together with a 1cm seam along the top only, (making sure you only sew 1 layer of exterior and one layer of liner together all the way around).
7. Use a seam ripper to take out 3cm of the stitching on the bottom seam of your liner bag.
8. Gently pull the exterior fabric through this hole, (right side out).
9. Close the hole in the liner using your Sewing Machine (stitching close to the edge).
10. Took liner into the exterior bag and press.
11. Place the thicker ribbon around the bag about 3cm from the top and pin. (Make sure that the raw edge of the ribbon is tucked directly underneath itself, approx. 1cm, and starts on the side seam of the bag).
12. Slip the bag over the Sewing Machine arm, and place under the presser foot.
13. Stitch along the top edge of the ribbon; stop stitching before reaching the other side seam.
14. Cut the ribbon off at the seam, allow for a 1cm overhang, turn this under, align with side seam and stitch in place. (Back stitch at each side seam for reinforcement).
15. Repeat this method to attach the second piece of ribbon to the other side of the bag.
16. Stitch along the bottom edge of the ribbon (it should remain open/accessible at both ends).
17. Attach a safety pin to the end of the narrow ribbon and draw it through, pull full circle.
18. Join together the ribbon ends, remove safety pin, and tie off to secure.
19. Start at the opposite end and repeat procedure with safety pin and ribbon.
20. Simply pull on the ribbon ends to tighten and your bag is finished!!