As we all know, sewing machines need looking after, a bit of TLC and regular servicing; after all they are no stranger to the popular concept “for life, not just for Christmas (or birthdays)”!
It’s so common these days that people quickly loose the maintenance momentum that comes with the excitement of a shiny new machine but slowly start to neglect the sewing machine’s needs. My Grandma had the same sewing machine from the start of her sewing career and passed it down to me in great working order. However, without taking care of it and treating it as the delicate piece of machinery that it is she would never have seen it last so many decades.
When you invest in a sewing machine, or any other piece of equipment for that matter, you want it to last as long as possible! And so we want to help you maximise your machine’s performance and efficiency whilst saving you time, frustration and money as repairs not only usually end up being costly but they typically crop up at the worst of times, like mid project, and could have been prevented with following our simple tips and trouble-shooting! And the best thing is, for the majority of repairs all you will need is your regular toolbox!!
To start; our MUST basics …
- Know the make and model of your specific sewing machine.
- Treat your machine with respect. Keep it clean and brush it down regularly.
- Use the recommended sewing machine bobbins, sewing threads, and needles for your sewing machine.
- Keep your sewing machine covered when not in use.
- Work indoors and ensure your sewing machine is on flat, sturdy surface when working.
- Do not allow young children to use your sewing machine unsupervised.
- Do not cover the air vents of your sewing machine.
- Keep your instruction manual safe, and if you don’t have one you can reprint one here.
- Change the needles often. A bent or dull needle will not only damage your fabric, but your machine as well.
- Oil your machine on a regular basis.