The beauty of applique is that you can personalise anything, it’s simple to do and it looks amazing!! It’s another great way to use up those beautiful scraps of fabric lying around too!! And once you get started, you won’t want to stop….
1. Choose the item you wish to embellish and a design to applique.
2. Cut out a template of your design/letter.
3. Lay the template face down, in reverse, on the wrong side of a sheet of BondaWeb and draw around it.
4. Lay the template on the fabric (right side up) and cut out. You can choose to do it all in one fabric or separate fabrics and layer your design to add a deeper and more colourful effect.
5. Fuse the BondaWeb to your chosen fabric (be sure to do this on the correct sides).
6. Place this onto your backing fabric and press.
7. Using the zigzag stitch on your sewing machine, sew around the edges of your design. (If you have the correct Sewing Machine Accessories change your foot to the Applique foot).
**You may want to experiment on a scrap piece of fabric first with the tension & stitch size to achieve the desired look. (You need one side of the stitch to go through the applique fabric and the other side to go through the backing stitch).
8. Line the fabric up so the raw unstitched edge is in the centre of your foot and start stitching.
9. Where necessary add more stitch detail and any layers in the same way.
10. Finish off with any desired extra touches.